Friday 20 July 2012

Assassination of procrastination


I proclaim healthy food is procrastination personified.  Hands up all those who agree!! There are too many hurdles that come along healthy way and by the end of it, you wonder if it’s worth it. Why go out of the way to think about it, step out with an unadulterated healthy shopping list and then scan through cooking books, channels and friends for help.

Instead picking up the greasy pack of chips or frozen food is so easy to indulge taste and time. It’s fast to cheat and eat and makes your feet run towards it without provocation. See, daily dose of exercise also taken care of.  My sentiments too!
Having said that, contradiction stands tall with health and diet increasingly gaining likes as a conversation and networking starter.

Recently on one fine day, my conclusion of health food got redefined over a hurried healthy lunch at Swati’s home. The table was well laid with healthy homemade desi and Middle East food and I conveniently set my eyes on the hummus dip spread on a crunchy toast. To be true to myself, I had few glaring in my face reasons to why my mouth dropped by at the toast. Firstly, it looked unfamiliar and fast to get over with. Secondly, it looked unhealthy and didn’t want to correct Swati that she had actually served me sin. I even borrowed few roasted peanuts from the Suran ki sabzi and topped it on the hummus toast to give the freshly garnished tomatoes some company.


Swati quickly corrected the look in my eyes by elaborating on its healthy, fresh and preservative free ingredients. Euphoria ends and Mumbai’s monsoon lightening strikes reality at me with the realisation that healthy food is tasty, fun to cook and doesn’t tax your efforts.  And most importantly, you don’t have to go out of your way to consume health food; it’s all there in your kitchen. All you need to do is open your mind and your eyes will look for themselves. There is enough health in your monthly grocery list, rearrange them and you are set.
Guess what, health food is fast to cook, easy to digest and tasty to your buds (Good Lord! I almost sounded like Maggi). But on similar lines, you don’t need to spend your life by the fire because it’s never over cooked…just cooked right and enough. That’s why it’s called ‘health food’.  And believe me, there are no hurdles to harm your health.


No doubt fat and calories are a must for every diet, but so is moderation of intent and ingredients. 

Try it! It won’t kill you; least a healthy appetite will grow on you. The rest is a healthy history!

No comments:

Post a Comment